Monday, June 30, 2008

Proud to be billingual

I have one large regret and that is not teaching my sons Norwegian when they were little . I was a busy mum and with work and daycare I did not make it a priority . I am making it a HUGE priority with Annalisa and the rest of the family is picking up the language also . I had to smile when Katie was sitting with Annalisa singing a Norwegian song . I am so pleased that I can ask Alex to do something and he will do it - and I asked in Norwegian . Leon is really learning and having dad here this summer I think really helped .
I speak Norwegian to Annalisa and the rest of the gang speaks English . Leon will use some Norwegian words but mostly English - and you know , I can't wait for the day I can have a conversation with my child in my language - it may be 10 years late but at least it is happening !

I read this today and had to share :From the "Bilingual Edge":

"One of the most common misconceptions about early language learning is that it will result in language delay, in other words, that children will talk later or less than they would have if spoken to in just one language."

"... there is no scientific evidence to show that haring 2, 3, or more languages leads to delays or disorders in language acquisition."

"The findings revealed that the bilingual children [English+Spanish] acquired there 2 languages on the same timetable as the monolingual English children. For instance, both groups showed similar rates of progress over time, and both groups went through the vocabulary spurt at around 2 years of age ... Finally, when bilingual children's Spanish and English words were added together into one list, the total size of their vocabularies was similar to that of the monolingual children. "

"Initially smaller vocabulary in each language at an early age is typically overcome by age 4 or 5 ..."

Annalisa understands the same amount of words and she is 12 months . Time will tell when he get's more verbal what language she will use .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ja det er det jeg har sagt hele tiden. Du skal snakke ditt morsmål til barna. De blir ikke språkfattig, heller det motsatte. Jeg merker at undommer som jeg har på skolen og som er to-og-tre-språklige ofte klarer seg mye bedre enn ett-språklige. Jeg gjorde noe omvendt med guttene. Jeg snakket engelsk med dem fra de var små; ikke fordi de skulle være så mye flinkere enn andre barn, men for at de skulle føle seg trygge hvis de måtte snakke engelsk. Resultatet nå er at de snakker flytende, er ikke engstelig for å snakke med engelsktalende, og de har også et rikere norsk språk. Både Petter Ove og Øyvind har jobbet
med språk, og Dagfinn jobber nå som webmaster og bruker både norsk og engelsk hele tiden.Så stå på, lær ungene og Leon norsk. De vil få store fordeler av det.
Kjempeklem fra tante.